Director of IT, Project Management
The Director of IT, Project Management will lead ongoing innovation efforts to ensure that Uncommon’s Home Office, Regions and Schools have the technology solutions required to accomplish the organization’s strategic goals. The Director will develop a deep understanding of needs across all levels of the organization and create a strategy for prioritizing and implementing new technology solutions going forward. The Director of IT, Project Management will report to the Senior Director of IT.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrate excellence. Successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to inspire and motivate;
- Track record of accomplishment;
- Ability to manage change and work in an extremely fast-paced environment;
- Passion for the Uncommon mission;
- Ferocious work ethic;
- Outstanding management and organizational skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Commitment to self-reflection;
- Intellectual curiosity;
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills that lead to systems thinking;
- High sense of urgency;
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strategic Planning and General Management:
- Understand critical Home Office, Regional and School processes and priorities in order to develop a long-term strategy for new technology solutions.
- Develop annual strategic plan for Project Management Team.
- Oversee and manage responsibilities of Project Management Team, including hiring, developing, and managing all team members.
- Act as thought partner for and/or manage product evaluations by other teams at Uncommon.
- Manage planning and execution of annual school start up projects during the summer.
- Recognize areas where technology or process improvement can drive organizational efficiency.
- Elicit requirements from users using interviews, surveys, site visits and observations and other methods of communication and develop product requirements outlining the specific technical functionality needed to deliver on user needs.
- Respond, in a timely manner, to all user inquiries and feedback.
- Develop, refine and deliver training materials and resources to ensure that product functionality is being maximized by users.
- Create and hand off policies and documentation around all new products to support team.
- Manage cross-functional teams needed to inform and roll-out new technology solutions.
- Create and maintain master project plans, accounting for and tracking roles of many stakeholders, ensuring all deadlines are met, identifying risks and escalating issues as needed.
- Manage resource allocation for the large number of projects in the pipeline.
- Create necessary links between vendors and internal Uncommon teams to ensure implementation is smooth. Work closely with Uncommon IT and Data teams to collaborate on the roll-out and support of any new technology platforms and any data integration work.
- Oversee aggressive roll-out of technology tools each school year.
- Clearly communicate implementation options and implications with stakeholders.
- Create mechanism for collecting feedback from stakeholders and promptly addressing their concerns and issues.
- Act as a program manager for all projects at Uncommon.
- Suggest product enhancements and work with the vendors to execute enhancements.
- Manage relationships with vendors, overseeing the product release cycle and coordinating among the vendors and key internal stakeholders.
- Partner closely with other Technology teams to coordinate product upgrades and to test and release new features and functions.
- Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Exceptional strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship management skills and end-user orientation; deep concern and empathy for users and internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to hire and lead a team of project managers
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Excellent organization, time management, and tenacious follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Demonstrated track record in driving impact and leading and managing significant, complex efforts, robust process, and project management skills
- Fluency with technical process and ability to establish credibility with internal/external developers and vendors
- Thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Demonstrated experience implementing different project management approaches
- Experience designing, implementing and leading training for a range of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools, systems and processes quickly
- Strong work ethic and commitment to high standards of excellence coupled with an enthusiastic approach to one’s work.
- Minimum educational level: Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Experience required/preferred: 5+ years of operations, ed tech, project management or consulting experience preferred., 3-5+ years direct management of project managers
- Previous experience or strong, demonstrated interest in K-12 public education preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with school facing technologies preferred.
- Driving cross-functional project teams.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.