ABOUT UNCOMMON SCHOOLS
At Uncommon Schools, we believe a bachelor’s degree should be within reach for every young person in this country. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to enter, succeed in, and graduate from college.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Associate Managing Directors at Uncommon Schools serve as vitally important leaders in our organization, and help drive the success of our schools and Principals. Associate Managing Directors oversee instructional and academic programs for groups of schools within the Uncommon Schools network and are accountable for student success and achievement within their schools as well as developing and managing Principals.
As an Associate Managing Director at Uncommon Schools, you will:
1. Manage and oversee implementation of Uncommon’s academic program.
2. Train school Principals and develop future instructional leaders.
3. Lead regional and organization-wide instructional management together with the Chief Schools Officers and the Curriculum and Assessment team.
4. Execute Uncommon’s mission and vision and ensure that schools receive operational support they need.
5. Serve as a member of Uncommon’s Leadership Team.
Management of academic program:
• Observe schools on a daily basis and partner with Principals to constantly evaluate and improve instruction, curriculum implementation, assessments, and other aspects of the academic program and culture at schools.
• Analyze student achievement data (including use of a school management dashboard) to improve school programs, pinpoint errors, and increase overall instructional rigor.
• Support Principals in the training of teachers to use student achievement data to improve instruction and student learning.
• Manage Principals to plan and implement summer and school-year training and content-area professional development for teachers in network.
• Partner with Principal to build a strong staff and student culture as well as parent relations.
• Support Principals to oversee hiring of teachers and other school staff.
Management of Principals and development of instructional leaders:
• Provide frequent informal feedback to Principals and conduct an annual formal evaluation.
• Plan and implement summer and school-year training for Instructional Fellows and all network instructional leaders.
• Recruit for and participate in Principal and instructional interview process for all schools.
• Support cross-regional Principal professional development and develop/execute regional Principal professional development as needed.
• Build personal and professional network in order to cultivate future instructional and leadership talent at Uncommon.
Management of regional and organization-wide instruction:
• Build a “one mission” culture for schools through Principal meetings and other communication.
• Provide feedback on curriculum and help implement curriculum at schools.
• Identify leader support needs and work with senior leadership team to develop and implement solutions.
• Ensure assessments, reports, and other data needs are managed and implemented by instructional leaders and school-based operations staff.
• Research and identify best practices from own network and other organizations and help disseminate those practices effectively to others.
Execution of Uncommon’s mission and vision:
• Partner with Uncommon leaders to support operational and compliance needs for the region and schools and to develop regional initiatives.
• Help manage relationships with Uncommon’s Regional Boards of Trustees.
• Partner with Uncommon’s Home Office to meet organizational needs, including development, marketing, recruitment, human capital, and other relevant functions.
• Serve as a member of Uncommon’s Leadership Team.
• Monitor and support schools in meeting the needs of special education students and work with appropriate partners – within and outside of Uncommon Schools – to deliver high-quality, cost effective services for students.
• Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
An Associate Managing Director is:
• Passionately committed to the mission of Uncommon Schools.
• A talented educator with a track record of leading students and staff effectively.
• A skilled written and oral communicator who is able to facilitate decision-making among multiple parties.
• An exceptional problem-solver with a demonstrated ability to think critically, plan strategically, as well as research and perform thorough data analysis.
• Self-directed and eager to take initiative.
• Poised and able to present effectively to diverse audiences.
• A quick learner who is able to be effective in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
• A bachelor’s degree is required, and a graduate degree in business, education, public policy, or related field is strongly preferred.
• Experience as an instructional leader in a high-performing urban public school is required.