The Office Manager plays a central role in ensuring an orderly, responsive, and open school. In addition to maintaining the school’s administrative systems and routines, the Office Manager functions as the primary contact person for all of the school’s constituents. In this role, the Office Manager must be able to communicate effectively with students, teachers, families, trustees, donors, and visitors. The Office Manager will report directly to the Director of Operations.
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The Office Manager Will:
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds, characters, and lives of students both in and out of school;
- Implement and enhance the school’s systems and culture;
- Maintain the school’s administrative systems and routines;
- Communicate effectively with students, families, teachers and colleagues;
- Commit to positive customer service in challenging situations;
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings;
- Be present for an annual three-week summer staff/ teacher orientation and training;
- Support grade-level and school-wide activities;
- Assist with student recruitment;
- Collect school performance and student data;
- Maintain student files;
- Support teacher/staff events by preparing materials for staff workshops/trainings;
- Work with the school Leadership Team to ensure that all government and authorizer grant proposals and reports are completed on time;
- Serve as substitute Teacher as necessary (depending on the region);
- Be present and engaged at least Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM – 5:30 PM or 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM depending on the region;
- Work periodic evenings and weekends as needed; and
- Work on a year-round administrative schedule with school holidays and two weeks of summer vacation.
- Oversee the day to day activities of the school and serving as the main point of contact in the school reception area;
- Manage phones (answering calls, re-directing calls, taking messages, placing calls, creating school announcements, etc.);
- Greet and document all visitors (signing in visitors, ensuring that students only leave with authorized parents/guardians, monitoring and controlling access to the school, etc.)
- Manage mail (distributing received mail, preparing school mailings, making mail drops, etc.);
- Help manage the collection and maintenance of student, personnel, and school information (receiving forms and paperwork, tracking missing forms, managing databases, updating contact information, keeping records current, etc.);
- Help manage school-wide daily systems (managing student attendance, tracking the student discipline system, etc.);
- Help execute logistics and preparations for school events and activities as needed (making photocopies, setting up for special events, making phone calls to confirm attendance, etc.);
- Help prepare set-up for staff/ teacher meetings, staff/ teacher retreats and annual evaluations;
- Coordinate on-site components of school financial systems such as purchase orders, payroll records, grant reports, and financial forms;
- Manage school maintenance and supply systems;
- Maintain office equipment and furnishings, and upgrading as needed;
- Maintain school calendar of events;
- Help to manage the National School Breakfast program, National School Lunch Program, and snacks; and
- Process student and faculty applications.
- 2-3 years of office experience, preferably working with an education agency;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Access;
- Displays maturity and ability to work independently;
- Welcoming and positive presence;
- Communicates well with others and demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues and community members;
- Has the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines;
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred;
- Flexibility and a sense of humor; and
- Enjoys working with children of all ages.
- Bachelor's Degree required
We offer a generous compensation package which includes base salary and comprehensive health benefits. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.