The Uncommon Schools Human Resources Generalist manages the administration of the human resources policies, procedures and programs. Day to day operations include: benefits administration, payroll, employee relations, HR policy implementation and workforce data analysis. She/he also oversees the health and welfare benefits programs for all of Uncommon Schools. The Human Resources Generalist will be part of team that provides human resources services to support an employee-oriented, communicative and high-performing and goal-oriented work environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Benefits Administration and Payroll
- Effectively administers Uncommon’s health benefits to all staff. Manages broker resources, benefit renewals, and open-enrollment for the medical, dental, and vision programs for all networks. Assists employees with all health, dental, and vision benefit questions across networks.
- Helps administer all paid/unpaid leaves.
- Helps organize and lead all network Benefit Orientations.
- Helps facilitate retirement/pension programs.
- Responds to employee relations issues and concerns promptly and effectively.
- Provides guidance to employees on all HR policies and procedures.
- Advises and helps train managers on key employee relations topics (e.g. onboarding, effective coaching, documentation and corrective action, leave administration).
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of federal and state legal compliance. Partners with management to conduct investigations and recommends courses of action.
HR Policy Implementation
- Communicates and documents policies and programs clearly and consistently to staff and managers.
- Successfully implements HR policies, programs and processes. Ensures network-wide adoption of policies and programs by responding to feedback and assisting networks in implementation.
Workforce Data and Analysis
- Executes requests for data and delivers appropriate analysis on an ad hoc basis.
- Compiles information for routine reporting and analysis (e.g. wage/salary analysis, retention, state/federal reporting, and benefits census).
Required competencies, skills & abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Strong client focus and an ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change dynamic organizations
- Knowledge of benefit plans’ structure/requirements and insurance claims management
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Self-directed and able to contribute individually and as a member of a team
- Strong attention to detail and ability to project manage
- Some knowledge of employment law in New Jersey
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Interest in education/charter schools a plus
- Willing to travel to schools
- Background working with entrepreneurial organizations is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2-3 years of HR experience
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.