Middle School Director of Operations (starting immediately)
Uncommon Schools is looking for innovative leaders who are committed to closing the achievement gap. We prepare these leaders through a fellowship program. During their fellowship, an Uncommon fellow readies to either: 1) open a new Uncommon school; 2) take over an existing Uncommon school; or 3) join an existing K-8 school as an Academy Director of Operations. The Roxbury Prep – Dorchester Campus Director of Operations will partake in the Fellowship during his/her first year of employment.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer of Roxbury Prep, Uncommon Schools Boston network
Prepare for success. In the course of the first year of employment, the Director of Operations will receive a modified Fellowship.
The Fellowship has six core elements that are consistent with competencies of Uncommon leaders. Each element builds Fellows’ capacity to become effective school leaders. These include:
- Evaluation & Feedback;
- Fellowship Deliverables and Immersion;
- Operations Leadership;
- Professional Development;
- School Startup Preparation; and
- School Visits.
Evaluation & Feedback
Fellows receive feedback from a Chief Operating Officer and from current school leaders. Each Fellow has an Individual Development Plan that identifies specific areas of development; fellowships are customized to ensure focused growth.
Fellowship Deliverables & School Guidelines
Fellows observe and learn in an existing Uncommon school. The Operations Fellow engages in network-wide projects, and the observation and analysis of Operational systems. Fellows will also complete pre-determined deliverables.
Operations Leadership Meetings
Fellows meet with current Operations leaders to deliver solutions and to build their support network.
The Operations Fellow has professional development focused on: Cultural Leadership, Leadership & Management, and Operational Leadership. Each session is led by our Managing Directors, alongside current school leaders and external partners.
Fellows participate in at least three school visits to learn about school culture, planning, management, and operations - as well as joy and engagement.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
• Track record of accomplishment;
• Ability to inspire and motivate;
• Passion for the Uncommon mission;
• Ferocious work ethic;
• Outstanding management and organizational skills;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Commitment to self-reflection; and
• Intellectual curiosity.
Become a leader.
The Director of Operations at Roxbury Prep - Dorchester Campus oversees school operations, enabling the Principal and teachers to drive success with students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. School Start-up & Operations
- Manage administrative staff;
- Create and execute detailed operations plans to ensure your school maximizes teaching and learning time;
- Prepare for site authorization and renewal visits and Uncommon self-evaluations.
2. Finance & Purchasing
- Manage the school budget;
- Collaborate with Uncommon Schools Finance department on payroll and benefits; and
- Oversee school-based purchasing to constantly strive for savings.
- Oversee the purchase and maintenance of technology infrastructure;
- Implement technology training; and
- Ensure that technology issues do not interfere with instruction.
4. External Relations & Development:
- Represent your school as the primary liaison;
- Manage school visits and external publications.
5. Student Enrollment:
- Create and manage student enrollment process;
- Track student admissions and maintain enrollment;
- Assist with the completion of all required state reports.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.