Teachers hold primary responsibility for the implementation and development of Uncommon’s curriculum and the success of its students. Therefore, Uncommon Schools seeks teachers who are committed to continuously improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration as part of a grade level team.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards;
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards;
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices;
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions;
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior;
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards;
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues;
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training;
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom;
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects;
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting.
- By the time that employment begins, candidates must have received a Bachelor's degree from a College or University. For teaching roles in New York and Massachusetts, candidates must have also earned a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher by the time employment begins. For teaching roles in New Jersey, the candidates must have earned a cumulative 2.75 GPA (for candidates graduating before September 1, 2016) or 3.0 (for candidates graduating on or after September 1, 2016).
Valid State Certification is helpful but not required. Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.